plugin code organisation using script editor

plugin code organisation using script editor

Tim Dahmen
I am developing a Java plugin to Fiji using the Fiji script editor. The Plugin source is stored in some directory under version control, opened in the script editor and run using the "run" button in the editor. So far, so good.

As the project grows, I would like to organize the source code in several classes and files. Just putting additional files in the same directory does not seem to work as the compiler does not recognize those files and then fails to compile and recognize these classes. Which brings me to the question: how is code organization supposed to work with the Fiji script editor and java? Are there any conditions on package names, classpaths, directories and so on?

thanks in advance for any answer
    Tim

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: plugin code organisation using script editor

Curtis Rueden
Hi Tim,

The Script Editor is not designed to handle plugins beyond a single source file. If your plugin grows beyond that, we recommend using an IDE such as Eclipse. Becoming proficient in an IDE will save you hundreds of hours of effort on large projects.

See the minimal-ij1-plugin project for a starting point:

Other potentially helpful articles:

Regards,
Curtis