Re: Pushed v 1.0.3 of H5J Plugin

Mark Hiner
Hello Les,

I've been out on vacation.

Could you please submit a pull request (PR) to the pom-fiji repository on GitHub that updates the H5J plugin version to 1.0.3?

This goes for future releases as well; when a PR is filed GitHub will automatically notify the Fiji maintainers, so no e-mail is necessary.

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Foster, Leslie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Mark:
I have not seen any progress on this.  Is there anything further I need to do?
Thanks,
Les

From: Foster Leslie <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 10:25 AM
To: Mark Hiner <[hidden email]>
Cc: Foster Leslie <[hidden email]>
Subject: Pushed v 1.0.3 of H5J Plugin

Greetings, Mark:
Just letting you know I have pushed a change to the Fiji plugin.  This one fixes a problem whereby I was losing some Z-planes because I was storing them in an unsynchronized hash map.  The code is only slightly different, and the “double push” release will be 1.0.3.  The current (afterward) version is now 1.0.4-SNAPSHOT.

Regards,
Les

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Pushed v 1.0.3 of H5J Plugin

Mark Hiner
Les,

There are two general pull request paradigms:

1. Internal: within a single repository. This would be from one branch (typically a "topic branch") to another (typically the "master" branch).

2. External: between two repositories. This can be from any branch in one repository to any other branch in a second repository. The common use case here is contribution of code from a Forked repository to the original repository ("upstream") - particularly when you do not have rights to modify the original directly.

So, as you are the maintainer of the H5J loader plugin, you have commit rights to its repository. It's perfectly fine for you to work directly on master. If you ever added additional developers, then you may want to use Internal Pull Requests - to discuss changes before putting them on master, for example - but it's up to you.

However, you do not have commit rights to the fiji/pom-fiji repository - and this is where we need to update the H5J Loader version to 1.0.3. So this is the precise use case for an External Pull Request.

The complete process would be:

1. Fork fiji/pom-fiji, so you have a personal copy (lesfoster/pom-fiji)
2. On your local machine, clone your lesfoster/pom-fiji fork.
3. Modify the pom.xml to update the H5J Loader version
4. Commit and push back to the master branch of lesfoster/pom-fiji
5. Submit a pull request from the master branch of your lesfoster/pom-fiji fork to the master branch of fiji/pom-fiji

Hopefully this all sounds reasonable; I'm happy to explain (or draw a diagram?) any part of this that's unclear. I will also try to put these instructions up on the Releases section of the wiki to be clearer on how everything is related.

Best,
Mark

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Foster, Leslie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mark:
I have not been working from any branch but the Master branch.  I had not heard this was required.  Can a Pull Request work if there is no other branch?
Regards,
Les