Fiji bundling of Java >1.6

Roger Leigh
Hi folks,

I saw some past discussions regarding updating the bundled JVM from 1.6 to 1.7 (or 1.8), and that some work was ongoing.  Do you have any planned timeline for completion of this work or any news regarding ongoing progress you could share?  I've seen that the NIH ImageJ downloads now also include versions with bundled 1.8 JVMs; are any corresponding Fiji downloads available yet?

For Bio-Formats and OMERO, we scheduled deprecation of 1.6 with the 5.1 release and final dropping with the 5.2 release, for which we'll be making the first milestone releases after the release of 5.1.4 at the end of the month.

Regards,
Roger

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Fiji bundling of Java >1.6

Roger Leigh
On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 14:05:18 UTC, Roger Leigh wrote:
I saw some past discussions regarding updating the bundled JVM from 1.6 to 1.7 (or 1.8), and that some work was ongoing.  Do you have any planned timeline for completion of this work or any news regarding ongoing progress you could share?  I've seen that the NIH ImageJ downloads now also include versions with bundled 1.8 JVMs; are any corresponding Fiji downloads available yet?

I would really appreciate a followup to these questions when you have the time.

Thanks,
Roger

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Fiji bundling of Java >1.6

Curtis Rueden
Hi Roger,

> I saw some past discussions regarding updating the bundled JVM from
> 1.6 to 1.7 (or 1.8), and that some work was ongoing.  Do you have any
> planned timeline for completion of this work or any news regarding
> ongoing progress you could share?

We were hoping to complete the work by the ImageJ conference in early September, but that is looking less likely now. My current estimate would be end of autumn. Unfortunately, there has been little progress since the last email update in June [1], due to more urgent priorities.

> I've seen that the NIH ImageJ downloads now also include versions with
> bundled 1.8 JVMs; are any corresponding Fiji downloads available yet?

Yes, Wayne update vanilla ImageJ 1.x to provide downloads with Java 8.

There is no such update for ImageJ2 or Fiji yet.

Note that there are two separate goals:
1) A downloadable version of ImageJ2 (and Fiji) bundled with Java 8 instead of Java 6.
2) When will core ImageJ2 switch from Java 6 to Java 8?

For #1: by end of fall.

For #2: unlikely before next year, since ditching Java 6 will have serious consequences. As a stopgap, we maybe introduce warnings for (the increasing number of) plugins that now require Java 7+, in situations where the user is still running Java 6 and tries to execute a Java 7-only plugin.

Regards,
Curtis