Directories and suffixes covered by the updater.

Directories and suffixes covered by the updater.

Niko Ehrenfeuchter
Hey all,

I was just wondering if the information from this discussion was
available somewhere on the Fiji wiki?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fiji-devel/QbY4XnLC-wE

I think that's very valuable and important, so if the answer is no, I'd
just create a fresh page for this, i.e. similar to this page:

http://fiji.sc/Overview_of_Fiji%27s_source_code

The reason why I'm bringing this up is that even after all the years I'm
using ImageJ/Fiji it is still rather opaque to me where to put stuff and
why, and it gets even more confusing when the Fiji updater gets involved
as it recognizes files with some suffixes / naming schemes in some
directories as local-only files whereas it ignores them in other places.

Cheers
Niko

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Directories and suffixes covered by the updater.

dscho
Administrator
Hi Niko,

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, Niko Ehrenfeuchter wrote:

> I was just wondering if the information from this discussion was
> available somewhere on the Fiji wiki?
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fiji-devel/QbY4XnLC-wE

It is not yet covered.

> I think that's very valuable and important, so if the answer is no, I'd just
> create a fresh page for this, i.e. similar to this page:
>
> http://fiji.sc/Overview_of_Fiji%27s_source_code

That would be very good! May I suggest, however, to add the information to
http://fiji.sc/Uploading_plugins#Internals rather than adding a new page?
(Probably we should rename that page to "Uploading files" now...)

> The reason why I'm bringing this up is that even after all the years I'm
> using ImageJ/Fiji it is still rather opaque to me where to put stuff and
> why, and it gets even more confusing when the Fiji updater gets involved
> as it recognizes files with some suffixes / naming schemes in some
> directories as local-only files whereas it ignores them in other places.

I very much appreciate your effort in this direction; I myself do not like
"magic" behavior in software and am always looking for ways to make things
more intuitive (I often encounter people who do not know that pressing the
Return key when an image is in the foreground will bring the main window
into the foreground, but I still have to find a method to make that
procedure intuitive for new users).

Thanks!
Dscho

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Directories and suffixes covered by the updater.

Jan Eglinger-2
Hi all,

I was looking once more for the information about file types recognized by the updater, and added the information here:

http://fiji.sc/Uploading_plugins#File_organization

Please feel free to correct if I got things wrong.

Cheers,
Jan

On Monday, 3 March 2014 16:33:06 UTC+1, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi Niko,

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, Niko Ehrenfeuchter wrote:

> I was just wondering if the information from this discussion was
> available somewhere on the Fiji wiki?

It is not yet covered.

> I think that's very valuable and important, so if the answer is no, I'd just
> create a fresh page for this, i.e. similar to this page:

That would be very good! May I suggest, however, to add the information to
(Probably we should rename that page to "Uploading files" now...)

> The reason why I'm bringing this up is that even after all the years I'm
> using ImageJ/Fiji it is still rather opaque to me where to put stuff and
> why, and it gets even more confusing when the Fiji updater gets involved
> as it recognizes files with some suffixes / naming schemes in some
> directories as local-only files whereas it ignores them in other places.

I very much appreciate your effort in this direction; I myself do not like
"magic" behavior in software and am always looking for ways to make things
more intuitive (I often encounter people who do not know that pressing the
Return key when an image is in the foreground will bring the main window
into the foreground, but I still have to find a method to make that
procedure intuitive for new users).

Thanks!
Dscho

Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!

Re: Directories and suffixes covered by the updater.

Curtis Rueden
Thank you Jan!

Might be good to put a link to the canonical list, in the source:

That way, technically oriented people have a way to check for whether anything has changed.

Regards,
Curtis